Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Obama's 47 Percent Approval Lowest of Any President at This Point (Video: congress is not exempt either)




I like to think, although this may be a bit of anthropomorphic fundamentalism speaking here, that this blog has played a small part in getting people focused in on some of the issues our Commander & Chief are trying to steer the country towards.  Don't get me wrong, I pray often that God's Will and placement of Obama is beyond my understanding, and that His Will be preeminent over mine (obviously).  I won't lie though, a lot of what is posted here is more my anthropomorphic fundamentalism than anything else.  So in my fallen human nature, I am happy about this story even though I will continue to pray for my leaders, as the Bible instructs.



(FoxNews Import) President Obama's job approval rating has fallen to 47 percent in the latest Gallup poll, the lowest ever recorded for any president at this point in his term.

Jimmy Carter, Gerald Ford and even Richard Nixon all had higher approval ratings 10-and-a-half months into their presidencies. Obama's immediate predecessor, President George W. Bush, had an approval rating of 86 percent, or 39 points higher than Obama at this stage.

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said he doesn't "put a lot of stock" in the survey by Gallup, which has conducted presidential approval polls since 1938, longer than any other organization.

"If I was a heart patient and Gallup was my EKG, I'd visit my doctor," Gibbs said in response to questions from Fox. "I'm sure a six-year-old with a Crayon could do something not unlike that. I don't put a lot of stake in, never have, in the EKG that is daily Gallup trend. I don't pay a lot of attention to the meaninglessness of it."

The new low comes as Obama struggles to overhaul the nation's health care system and escalates America's involvement in the Afghanistan war. He is also presiding over a deep and prolonged recession, with unemployment at 10 percent.

"There's no doubt Obama's 47 percent is mainly a result of the continuing bad economy," said Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia's Center for Politics. "But there is also a growing concern about government spending and debt, and a sense that Obama is trying to do too much, too soon."

He added: "President Obama has reason to be concerned about his ratings. Even in tough times, presidents have usually been able to stay above the critical 50 percent mark in the first year, when the public is most inclined to give the new incumbent the benefit of the doubt."

When Gallup began taking presidential approval polls 71 years ago, Franklin Roosevelt had been president for more than five years. During his remaining time in office, his job approval rating never fell below 48 percent.

 December 08, 2009

  • George W. Bush, 86 percent
  • Bill Clinton, 52 percent
  • George H.W. Bush, 71 percent
  • Ronald Reagan, 49 percent
  • Jimmy Carter, 57 percent
  • Gerald Ford, 52 percent
  • Richard Nixon, 59 percent
  • Lyndon Johnson, 74 percent
  • John Kennedy, 77 percent
  • Dwight Eisenhower, 69 percent
  • Harry Truman, 49 percent