Sunday, March 30, 2008

Word faith (Cult) Movement

Some quotes for Context:

"Early in our marriage, Victoria and I were out walking through our neighborhood one day when we came upon a beautiful new home in the final stages of construction… Victoria was excited. She turned around, looked back at the home, and said, 'Joel, one day we're going to live in a beautiful home just like that!…' Over the next several months, she kept speaking words of faith and victory, and she finally talked me into it. She convinced me that we could live in an elegant home like the one we saw. I got rid of my limited thinking and I started agreeing with her. I started believing that somehow, some way, God could bring it to pass. We kept on believing it, seeing it, and speaking it (Osteen, Your Best Life Now: 7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential, Chapter One, ).

Joel Osteen - "I got rid of my limited thinking…believing that somehow, some way, God could bring it to pass…[I] kept on believing it, seeing it, and speaking it."

E.W. Kenyon - "I know that I am healed because [God] said I was healed, and it makes no difference what the symptoms may be in my body… I command the author of disease to leave my body… Don't listen to the senses."

Kenneth Hagin - "you create your own negative situations yourself with wrong thinking, wrong believing, and wrong speaking,…"

Marilyn Hickey - "speak to your circumstances; and speak faith to them to create in them and God will create what you are speaking."

Us Reason Article:

Joel’s father, John Osteen, was into the word faith teaching of Kenneth Hagin and Kenneth Copeland. In late 1998-99 he became sick. The church that was also trained in word faith philosophies began their positive confessions saying, “God has promised him that he will be preaching into his early 90's, and he is only 77 now. God gave him a vision for “Seven Years of Harvest”, and we are just beginning our 6th year of this special thrust for world evangelism. God has promised our staff that He will bring our pastor's kidneys on a platter of praise. The God who began this universe as a mighty Creator is creating what our Pastor needs in his body (Lakewood Church prayer request Jan 19, 1999).

Two weeks later, John Osteen died.

If this is what you are pointing to as Hank hounding Osteen on, well, I shouldn’t use many of examples I do when writing about the self-refuting nature of Pantheism and their problem with evil. Hank is merely showing how the theology on the one hand states A, then B should happen. It doesn’t, Hank is merely pointing this out. As I would.


False Prophet?