Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Biden – Out of Iraq, Into Sudan

Just as in Kosovo, there is no strategic reason to enter in other than a humanitarian need. At least in the Middle-East there were national security issues (OIL). I am all for going in, but the Democrats need to be honest with themselves, to quote Hot Air (props):

Help me out here, Democrats. You all want out of Iraq. I know that a lot of you agree with Biden and want into Darfur. What underlying principle guides you? I’m not being snarky–I’m genuinely curious about it.

Joseph Biden, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and a Democratic presidential candidate, called Wednesday for the use of military force to end the suffering in Darfur.

“I would use American force now,” Biden said at a hearing before his committee. “I think it’s not only time not to take force off the table. I think it’s time to put force on the table and use it.”

In advocating use of military force, Biden said senior U.S. military officials in Europe told him that 2,500 U.S. troops could “radically change the situation on the ground now.”

“Let’s stop the bleeding,” Biden said. “I think it’s a moral imperative.”

But according to Biden and most Democrats, it’s not a moral imperative to stay in Iraq even knowing that if we leave too soon a genocide to dwarf Darfur’s will fill our wake. Not to mention what a premature bugout would do to US credibility.

Help me out here, Democrats. You all want out of Iraq. I know that a lot of you agree with Biden and want into Darfur. What underlying principle guides you? I’m not being snarky–I’m genuinely curious about it.

Snarky? What a word.